Solid Sound and On

I can probably count on one hand the number of genuine vacations I've taken in my life. In 2001, just a few weeks prior to 9/11, I traveled to a few countries in Europe with my brother. That week holds some of the fondest memories of my life. In 2007, I extended a business trip to France by spending 4-5 days in Nice, France, along with a day trip to a small town in Italy. Many of the moments of that week are etched in my memory. A few years back, a girlfriend and I traveled up to Crater Lake in Oregon and spent a week journeying throughout Oregon. Again, some of the deepest memories I've ever had. Add in about 11 trips to Big Sur and countless shorter stops in cities throughout the US, and it truly is a wonder why I've never taken to travel. I can summon almost any city (Cincinnati, Austin, Portland, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Boise, Jacksonville, Boston, Asheville, etc.) and I'm immediately brought to a time when I experienced the wide-eyed joy of being in a foreign place.

I guess I've been taking stock of late. Ya know, having just turned 39. Maybe there's an urge to spread the proverbial wings prior to 40. Or maybe I'm just desiring change. As a result, I've made a pledge to now take at least one solid vacation per year. The kind of vacation that I often shun. Not LA or Seattle. Somewhere that requires real effort.

To start things off, after two years of following from the web, I've booked a trip to North Adams, MA for Wilco's Solid Sound Festival. Sure, this may not sound like a full-on vacation, but let's call it my entry. Instead of just staying through the long weekend, I've vowed to stay for the entire week, soaking up the trees and air of the Berkshires.



In addition, I will book one more out-of-the-country trip in 2013, likely a sleepy beach town in Mexico. In 2014, I will venture to either Europe or Asia. Paris? Probably not. Burma? Good chance. There's a growing excitement as I mentally map out the parts of the world I plan on touching. It's not in my nature to plan such things, and tackling this head on may be just what it takes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best