The Gourds

It's funny how I mark my age not by my children (which granted, I don't have) or family members aging, but by the longevity or demise of some of my favorite bands. To hear that The Gourds have been together for 19 years is mind boggling. I remember RIGHT when they started, listening to "Dems Good Beeble" over and over and over. I saw an interview with Joe Pernice recently where he said that music literally kept him alive in his teens and 20s. I know it sounds over-the-top but I feel, well, the same way. I have no idea what I would've latched onto if not for discovering Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Jayhawks, Gourds, Blue Mountain, The Pernice Brothers, etc. Whenever one of these bands calls it quits, a little part of me seems to close up.

I have so, so many great memories of The Gourds. From listening to their records, seeing them live and even hanging out with them, they've been a part of my life consistently for 20 years. Gourds co-frontman Kevin Russell played a role in me deciding to move to California over Austin. As I was mulling the move, he said, "Yes, it's different than the rest of Texas, but it's still Texas." That sealed my decision. Thanks, Kev. And then there was the night in Philly. I had helped book The Gourds along with Philly's darlings at the time, Marah. And man, what a night. It was sometime around 4am that Jimmy found some Thin Lizzy in my friend Brendan's apartment and the night/morning was off. I recall buying two cases for all of us and it was gone fast. Real fast. We all got up around noon and watched the Cowboys game. Kev talked about Texas football. It was just like hanging out with a bunch of good friends. Early afternoon they loaded up the van and pointed the wheel towards Pittsburgh. It was a night I'll never forget.

Their live shows stand right alongside those of Springsteen, Slobberbone and Wilco as some of the greatest I've ever seen. And on record, they're just as fantastic. "Stadium Blitzer" is a five-star record and I can only cite maybe 15 of those in my collection. "Dems Good Beeble" is a masterful first record. And then came, "Bolsa..., " "Ghosts....," "Cow Fish Fowl..," "Haymaker!" and so many more. Call 'em what you will, but they're a rock n' roll band and one of the best of our time. Add to that the gentlemanly humor and charm, and I feel extremely fortunate to have been around to witness this band from start-to-(maybe)finish. This band helped to enrich my life; more than they'll ever know.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best