#40 Pernice Brothers

I first saw Joe Pernice in 1995, when his first outfit, Scud Mountain Boys, were the first of three bands, followed by Blue Mountain and Wilco, to take the stage at New York City's Tramps. Pernice and his band sat around candle-lit tables strumming beautiful tracks from the first few Scuds records. I was hooked. Massachusetts still stands as one of the best records in my collection.

When he wrapped the Scuds (for then), and started the Pernice Brothers, expectations were high. The first Pernice record, Overcome by Happiness, released in 1998 on Seattle's Sub Pop, remains their best. Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman cites Happiness as the one record in the Sub Pop catalog that never really got its due. When I think of this record, I think of West Virginia. One of those records that remains stapled to a moment in time. I was driving from New Jersey to Cincinnati in 1999 or so to visit my brother, and I clearly recall pulling off an exit in W. Virginia and hearing my car make some cautionary sounds. It was late; it felt like I was a million miles from home and I was growing increasingly nervous. And this record was playing. I kept repeating "All I Know" as it's just one of those beautifully, calming songs. I made it out, with the help of this record.

Following their debut, Pernice released a string of great records, with two being excellent top-to-bottom: 2001's The World Won't End and 2003's Yours, Mine & Ours. Pernice's last proper Pernice Brothers record came with 2006's wildly underrated Live a Little. Since then, Joe has reformed the Scuds and released a book and companion record. There's been talk of a new Pernice Brothers record for years, but nothing's come to light yet. A look at the band's website shows that it hasn't been updated in two-plus years. Hopefully that changes soon....

Favorite record: Overcome by Happiness (1999)

Where are they now? Not sure. It's been a few years since Pernice has released anything. He's apparently living in Toronto and he's pretty active on Twitter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best