Songs of the Decade : Freedy Johnston "Anyone" (2001)


Freedy Johnston may be responsible for my career over the past 13+ years. In the summer of 1995, while home on summer break and working an awful part-time telemarketing gig, I was finally starting to think about what course I'd take following one more year of college. Waffling between another decade or so of post-grad study and my purest passion, music, I sat one day in my bedroom and flipped through the liner notes of Freedy Johnston's Can You Fly. I was in love with the record at the time and played it endlessly throughout that summer. My eyes suddenly locked on the label: Bar None Records, Hoboken, New Jersey. I lived only about 25 minutes from Hoboken. The next morning I called Bar None and asked if they needed any summer interns. "Sure, come down tomorrow," said the cool woman on the line. And thus it began....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best