Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard to Play Henry Miller Library, Big Sur

Farrar and Gibbard's One Fast Move or I'm Gone: Kerouac's Big Sur was my top record of 2009. Looking back at the past few years, it may be the best record I've bought since Josh Ritter's The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter. When they did a short tour earlier this year, despite buying a ticket, I ended up missing their Portland stop. Nevertheless, for a good six months, I was hooked on this record and everything tied to it: Kerouac, Big Sur, the spirit, and the overall romanticism of the songs. I'm still amazed that I didn't pick up smoking again. When I went to the Henry Miller Library for the second time, it felt as though I was experiencing the record firsthand. There's such an odd literary and cinematic feel to the record. It's as if all art is somewhat represented in the songs.

When I moved to California on New Years Eve 2004/2005, I spent the following day at Big Sur and thus grew my belief that Northern California is quite possibly the most beautiful area of the country. And five-plus years later I'm convinced of it.

On August 14th, The Henry Miller Library will host Jay Farrar and Benjamin Gibbard in Concert with a special screening of “One Fast Move or I’m Gone: Kerouac’s Big Sur”. I saw Bonnie "Prince" Billy at this site a few summers back and it's a truly remarkable space. Middle of August. Big Sur. Farrar/Gibbard. Henry Miller. Kerouac. They're calling it the "Event of the Season" and I'm sure as hell not arguing. In addition to the songs and the screening, the event will be catered by Grapes of Wrath Catering. I mean, seriously? Woody Guthrie may as well be serving up the yams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best