The Good Earth

Having lived on this block for four-plus years, I now know a good portion of the residents by first name. This must say something about San Francisco. I lived in Brooklyn for six years and in terms of my block, I think I knew my landlord, the guy who torched the adjacent building by falling asleep while chaining Winstons and my girlfriend (who lived with me). There's this one fella who I see every now and then who just looks like he clearly has EPs from one end of his apartment to the next. He was one of the neighbors I knew by face.

This morning, while talking to a pal who was on his way to his job at the Chronicle, EP guy strolled by wearing a Feelies t-shirt. I hate to be one of those guys, but c'mon, a Feelies t-shirt? One hour later, we'd covered Luna, The Wrens, Teenage Fanclub, Yankee Stadium, Maxwell's in Hoboken, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, his dislike of Wilco (near full nelson), Minneapolis, Chicago, Blonde Redhead, touring, Absolutely Kosher Records, The Jayhawks, and about every other band that could quickly come to mind. At least for me, this is what music can do that almost nothing else can. When he mentioned his love of the Luna song "Anesthesia" I was so pumped that I nearly gave him a wedgie.

We talked for close to an hour. We're gonna get together to watch a Yanks game. He inspired me to come home and put on The Feelies' The Good Earth, an appropriate title, I suppose.

I love this town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best