Bob Dylan SACDs

It was sometime in early 2005 when a pal wrote and said, "Go buy a Super Audio CD Player and all the Dylan SACDs. Then call me." About an hour or two later I was in Best Buy picking up the player. I then drove down El Camino to Tower and picked up Blood on the Tracks. He also suggested that I pick up some beer, turn on the CDs and do nothing else, which is exactly what I did. Commence Maxell blank tape logo. (If you're under 30, you probably don't get that. If you're over 30, just deal with the crappy analogy.) By the following afternoon, I'd picked up Another Side of Bob Dylan, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Oh Mercy, Bringing It All Back Home, Nashville Skyline and Infidels. Now five years later, despite all the vinyl, the George Jones Box Set, the Big Star Box Set, the Willie Nelson Atlantic Years and all the rest, these seven CDs remain my prized possessions. The sound is that good.

Super Audio CDs lasted on the market for about 48 hours. Only a few artists ever released records in this format, but Dylan released all of his best. So many sounds once muddled in the background come charging to the front. Man, if you could hear the snare and strumming that opens "You're a Big Girl Now" there's little question that you'd attempt to snake the player and disc while I was making some parm. I think you can still find these and I'm sure players can be had on the cheap. If you're a fan of Dylan, you really owe it to yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best