The Highlighter

"Indulge no one's taste but your own"
Arthur Phillips, The Song Is You, pg. 57

I made it to page 59 before having to put the book down and sit on that sentence. It made me think of baseball. I used to love the game. While watching the World Series last year at a bar in the Bay Area, I recognized my passion for the game evaporating. Although I checked most box scores this year, 2010 was the first year since 1978 or so when baseball didn't grab me. And I fear that it's likely lost forever.

Why fake it? I've done it time and again. I'll nod after a terrible show and say, "Yeah, that was great." Or to a song that sucks. Or some football game that has me bored to tears.

I know what I love. Great books. Great music. Dogs. Parks. Friends. Wisdom. Records. Solomon Burke. Big Star. Edson. Some may call it closed-minded. I think it's just knowing what moves me. What brings me to sing while walking through crowds on Church Street. What makes it all come together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best