Under Great White Northern Lights

I had a fairly short-lived fling with The White Stripes. A good friend back east and I used to listen to White Blood Cells to no end after it came out, and although I continued buying their records, I can't say I cared all that much following their rise in the early 2000s. I've always respected Jack White and found the one performance I caught in NYC to be quite good, but their records, outside of WBC, just didn't stick.

Similar to my Nirvana re-discovery a few months back, of late, I've found myself returning to The White Stripes. I think it may have a lot to do with my disappointment with today's music. Since I was so immersed in the 90s and early 00s, I guess I'm returning to some of the acts I sort of passed over. Back then, there was such an abundance of talent that I simply couldn't cover it all. Perhaps I'm now looking to fill in the holes. A few spins of White Blood Cells and then Elephant began the rekindling. And then last night, upon returning home from work, I sat down to watch the 2010 documentary Under Great White Northern Lights. Following Meg and Jack throughout remote parts of Canada, this is a pretty fantastic take on a pair of musicians who, despite a fairly quick rise to stardom, remained true to the spirit of what they started back in the late 90s. As the movie came to a close, it was the following clip that turned this from a good film to a near-great film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best