Mellow My Mind

Some things I've been listening to, watching, reading of late...

--Music--
Kenny Roby - Birds and Memories
When looking at Roby's career, I now think of his solo work over his original outfit, 6 String Drag. Despite being a mere eight songs, his new record is another gorgeous collection of songs. The album closer, "Our Fading Fighter," is staggering.

Chuck Berry
Finally digging in.

Brian Eno
My biggest discovery/obsession of 2012.

Rodriguez
Second to Eno.

The Beatles - Abbey Road
This classic has shot to the top of my all-time list.

Holiday - Ready, Steady, Go!
A fairly unknown band from the 90's that a friend introduced me to. This record makes me smile.

Richard & Linda Thompson
I've always been a fan, but this year they've turned into a favorite. Just brilliant songs.


--Movies--
Searching For Sugar Man
Simply put, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Lincoln
Daniel Day-Lewis will grab another Oscar. The movie is quite good, but I don't think it lives up to the hype. A story as compelling as this should've had more depth.

Oslo, August 31st
A fantastic and brilliantly-acted film about one man's 24-hour struggle to stay sober.


Transsiberian
Not very good. An embarrassing performance by Woody Harrelson.

The Master
Fantastic acting dragged down by a thin story.

--Reading--
In Between Days by Andrew Porter
Favorite read of the year.

The New Yorker
After a mini hiatus, I'm once again a devotee.

Tech News
TechCrunch, Fast Company, Wired, AllThingsD, Engadget - I'm obsessed.

The New York Times
The iPad experience is just gorgeous.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best