40

I've never been one for birthdays, or even holidays, for that matter. I've always found both to be a bit silly. Every day should hold its own set of experiences, regardless of some arbitrary label. Okay, birthdays aren't really arbitrary, but hopefully you get the point.

40 seems different. 40. Wow. When I was in my teens I couldn't even fathom 30, let alone 40. And my teens seem like just a few years ago, notwithstanding the Def Leppard phase. I'm now left with one full day in my 30s. I've spent the morning tending to a work matter, but I'm planning on going for a run, listening to some music and then taking Bennett on a hike. And likely doing a little reflecting. Man, 40.

When I look back on my life, I'm almost baffled by the amazing experiences I've had. I've seen Bruce Springsteen well north of 50 times. Same goes for Wilco. I've seen more incredible rock n' roll, country, soul, singer/songwriter, hip hop, etc. music that I never dreamt I'd see in a lifetime. I've met absolutely wonderful people: friends, family, girlfriends, colleagues and passer-bys. I still feel as though I've barely traveled, but I've stood in awe at places such as Crater Lake, Big Sur, the Berkshires, Cannes, Minnesota, Maine, Austin, Amsterdam, St. Augustine, Joshua Tree, Brooklyn, Italy and Nashville.

I recently said to a friend, "If it all ended now, I couldn't have asked for more." He seemed to think the comment was morose. I didn't. Still don't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best