Derek Jeter

Man, I was at just the right age. I was around 21 or 22 when Jeter came up. We're actually less than a year apart in age. When the Yankees lost to Griffey's Mariners in the 1995 playoffs, and Don Mattingly stepped off the field for the last time, I was completely deflated. This was their chance. I couldn't have possible dreamed of what was about to come. Playoffs after playoffs. Five championships.

I was seated right next to the left field foul pole, along with my brother and closest friend from college, when the Yankees won the 1996 World Series, their first in 18 years. It was that same year, or maybe the year prior, that my brother, father and a few others, watched a number of Yanks playoff games up in Boston. Man was that exciting. My father and I have had a difficult run throughout my life, but the New York Yankees, whether we're on speaking terms or not, binds us. My dad talks about  Mantle. I tell my nephew about Jeter and Tino. And Mo. Bernie. Paul. El Duque. In 1996, Derek endorsed by father's company and I got to meet him. He was still a kid; he'd barely gotten started. He was humble and kind.

And then there was the 2001 World Series. Less than two months after 9/11. The city was on edge, but in desperate need of some joy. Just something to rally behind. My dad got us tickets for Game 4. The game. Yanks are down 2 games to 1, down 3-1 with two out in the bottom of the ninth. Tino steps up and delivers the unthinkable: a bomb to the right center bleachers, right where we were sitting. To this day, I've never before or again experienced euphoria like I did in that minute or two. I remember my brother John grabbing me, "Stand still for a few seconds!" I did and the entire floor of the original Yankee Stadium was swaying back and forth. I mean, just watch this:



We moved onto the 10th, tied at 3. And then came Jeter. The clock turned to November 1st, and my brother, born on 11/1/80, was now 21 years old. And then Derek shot a line drive down the right field line; it crept over the wall and the Yankees won. Unbelievable. One of the greatest nights of my life.



Thank you, Derek Jeter. Thank you for all you've done for so many New Yorkers. And thank you for helping my father and I to let go and enjoy each other's company. You played a huge role in that. Amazing what this game can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best