Trump

Travel bans. Insurance catastrophe. Sexism. Racism. Mocking the disabled. Cuba. Climate change. The wall. Russia. Endless lies. I could on for, literally, ever.

This is the most disengaged I've been from politics and the daily happenings in DC in at least two decades. The fact that 62M Americans voted for this monster remains, now many months in, impossible for me to stomach. I simply can't understand the utter lack of humanity, decency and empathy that has swept over this country. We should be utterly embarrassed and disgusted by this man's "leadership." He is a bad human being and he governs without a sliver of self reflection or integrity. And I'm embarrassed to say that I'm so distraught by where we're at that my only solution has been to tune out. Turn it off. I see an article that includes his name and I pass. Every time.

So what do I do? Or what have I done? Well, as many have responded, I'm trying to be a better person in my daily life. Extremely local; just my day-to-day. I try to remember people's names. I try to share whatever life wisdom I may have with those who may be lost. I talk to the Lyft driver. I greet the folks in our kitchen staff each day. I try to remember their names and ask how their families are doing. I tip more. I take my dog for longer walks. I try to be as honest as possible. I try to exhibit what we heard from President Obama and the opposite of what we hear from Trump. I just returned from a music festival where I saw endless community, music, laughter, love, passion and inspiration, and it reminded me of where we were, and for many of us, still are. And in the words of the great Jay Farrar, as much as I can summon, I keep "raising my hand for the wrongs."

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best