Record, Uninterrupted: Big Star / Third - Test Pressing (2011)


When I lived in San Francisco, I went through a period where, at least once a week, I'd listen to an entire record without any interruptions. No checking of the phone, nothing. I can still recall what it felt like to listen to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska like that. The songs and stories came alive. It was like watching Indian Runner but being inside of the movie.

Like many short-term ideas, after a few months, it faded. I kept reminding myself about the exercise, but I never went back. It's probably been about five years. I mean, I still listen to music every day, but it's often how we all listen: headphones on the run, in the car, in the office, in the background. Then, this evening I got home after a sweltering day in the sun, on a day that I never do well with, and I saw this gorgeous Big Star record sitting on my shelf. This is the "test pressing" that was released on Record Store Day 2011. I remember waiting on the Amoeba line in SF with only this record as a must. But I arrived too late. So I went onto eBay and spent the most on a record that I've ever shelled out. 

My god, these songs. Listening to "Nightime" without any distractions brought tears to my eyes. Without question, one of the most beautiful songs ever written. To my ears, maybe the most beautiful song ever written. The equally stunning "Blue Moon" left my thoughts swimming in gratitude. I quickly recalled the words of a friend of mine a few years back, when I was grumbling on about some problem in my life. "We live like kings," he said, "music, books, films, parks, ocean, food....we truly live in the greatest of times, and we're incredibly fortunate." The messy and dissonant "O, Dana" sent me swirling in a way....back to high school...first loves and all. I mean, aren't most of Chilton's songs about first loves? "Stroke It Noel" and the definitive song about gratitude, "Thank You Friends" round out about half of the record. Perfection.

Not sure what record will come next, but tonight, I made a perfect pick.

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best