#33 LCD Soundsystem

I moved to the Bay Area on January 1, 2005. I'd spent the previous six years living in Brooklyn, and those entire six years were were awash in music. My friends and I saw endless shows, all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. And Philly. And wherever. Tons of nights drinking and bobbing our heads to Marah, Star City, Old 97s, Wilco, Mendoza Line, The Strokes, GBV and the endless line of great bands from that period. When I decided to leave the East Coast for a few years (now 13+), there was a feeling that that period of my life, in many ways, was over. Was  living inside the rock n' roll that filled the clubs in New York now behind me for good? I clearly recall driving around the South Bay in the spring of 2005, playing the records we listened to in New York, and feeling distanced. I needed something new. Something outside of the bands we listened to in New York.

In June of 2005, LCD Soundsystem released their self-titled debut. I remember hearing "Losing My Edge" for the first time and thinking, "Wait, what is this? Is this dance? Rock n' roll?" I wasn't entirely sure, but it could not have felt more suited for where I was. I was 31 years old, in this new place, feeling that a bit of my youth may be behind me, and the song began, "I'm losing my edge / I'm losing my edge / The kids, are coming up from behind / I'm losing my edge / I'm losing my edge / To the kids from France and from London / But I was there." I mean, I wasn't exactly there, but I knew what James Murphy was singing about. My catalog didn't run as deep as Murphy's but the nostalgia was spot on. I knew The Modern Lovers. I saw REM in their prime. And the (still) wildly under-appreciated alt.country scene. I saw Elliott Smith. And many more. And there I was. Living in the suburbs of California, having little idea how I got there and where I'd end up. And this was exactly the sound and band that I needed. Seemed like the natural progression from my musical past that started with rock and soul, moved to hip hop, back to rock, through to Americana, and now, LCD Soundystem and all the roads they brought me down. The self-titled remains my favorite record, but I've loved everything they've put out.

When I flew to NYC in late 2011 to see what was supposed to be their last few shows, I witnessed one of the best few hours of music of my life. I was starting to edge up on 40, but, for that night, I felt like a kid. This is how they opened the show. One of the most euphoric ten minutes I can remember. 4:38 on.... watch those kids in front of the stage, and man, that to me is joy.



As I'm reviewing their catalog, I'm realizing that they should be a lot higher than 33. Maybe top ten.

Favorite record: LCD Soundsystem (2005)

Where are they now? After a few-year hiatus, LCD reformed a few years back and released American Dream, to critical acclaim, in 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best