#30 Damien Jurado

There are points in your life when a certain act or sound just fits a period of time. I discovered Damien Jurado in 1999 when he released the fantastic Rehearsals for Departure. And I was off. For a solid decade, through to 2008's Caught in the Trees, I was hooked. If you look at my last.fm from that period, Jurado checks in at #7. For reasons I can't really explain, I then abandoned ship. Jurado has released four records since, and with a few exceptions, I've been on the sidelines. But tonight, as I listen to 2003's Where Shall You Take Me?, I'm reminded. These songs are gut-wretchingly gorgeous. On the level of Nick Drake or Elliott Smith. At times, better. And just like that, I'm back. Maybe it's time I explore those four new ones.

Favorite record: Where Shall You Take Me? (2003)

Where are they now? Still out doing his thing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best