#29 Steve Earle

My timeline for interest in Earle is oddly almost exactly as #30 on this list, Damien Jurado. I discovered Earle in the early 90s, right before the best output of his career. Fresh out of the pen, Earle was sober, still young, and clearly hungry. The quick output of Train a Comin' (1995), I Feel Alright (1996) and El Corazon (1997) represents the epicenter of Earle's recorded output and fit perfectly with the alt.country movement that was ballooning at the time. In addition to these masterful records, Earle was also running E-Squared Records, where he introduced the world to the likes of The V-Roys, 6 String Drag, Bap Kennedy and Cheri Knight. All four of those remain among my favorites of that period, and Earle's impeccable ear and desire to raise awareness to these acts is something I'll forever cherish.

Favorite record: I Feel Alright (1996)

Where are they now? I can't claim to follow much anymore, but Earle's out there still touring and making records...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best