#20 Slobberbone

Like no other band on this list, Denton, Texas' Slobberbone hold a piece of me that I'll cherish until my last day. I've told this story before, but I'm so appreciative of what Brent Best, Brian Lane, Jess Barr and Tony Harper (unknowingly) did for me, that I keep repeating it. 1999 was my first SXSW. I made my way down to Austin, 25 years old, with what felt like the weight of the world on my shoulders. Decades-long family issues were finally being brought to the surface, and I was having trouble processing all of the rapidly moving stories, once hidden/now exposed secrets, and what all this news and emotion would do to my often-confused family situation. And it literally all dropped as I was heading to Texas. As the drama piled on, I was a few thousand miles from home, attempting to usher it aside and enjoy myself. But I couldn't. Was just too much, at the time. I had glimpses of fun the first few days, but my mind was back in New Jersey/New York. I considered leaving early, but I was so young and temporarily lost that I couldn't even muster the ability to change a flight. I just dragged on, waiting for the days to pass. One afternoon, I forced myself to Club de Ville to see Slobberbone and a few other bands. I was barely paying attention. It was raining, soon pouring, and the fairly small crowd re-positioned, trying to find cover. But Slobberbone kept going. Water was up to their ankles, instruments and equipment drenched, but they seemed unstoppable. They got better and better. I recall this moment like it was five minutes ago. Suddenly, Brent and camp, along with Jimmy Smith of The Gourds, bouncing around the stage seemingly quite drunk, blasted into Neil Young's "Powderfinger." One of my favorite songs and absolutely explosive from opening second to last, I was floored. I was standing right in front of Brent, and I clearly recall turning to look at my friends Maggie, Frank and Jason and it was a combination of rain and tears running down my face. In those few seconds, I knew I'd be okay. And the song lifted me like no song had before or has since. And I'll be grateful to this band until my last breath. Without that spirit and emotion, I'm not sure I would've found the hope that, at the time, seemed lost. Those few minutes changed me. And when life hits, like it does, I reflect on that day, that song, those few minutes, and I'm always assured that I'll get by. And I always do.

Favorite record? Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today (2000)

Where are they now? I'll be flying down to Denton in mid-May to see Slobberbone play their 25th anniversary show. Brent and co. are still touring. Let's hope there's a record in the making.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best