#2 Wilco


I probably don't need to say much here. If we've met for even ten seconds, I probably talked about this band. I mean, I named my dog after former Wilco lead guitarist, Jay Bennett. If I ever have a kid, he or she will likely be Jeff or John or Coomer or Pot Kettle Black. 70-80 shows. Every record purchased on every format imaginable. Three Solid Sound Festivals. Couple pics with JT, one taken by John Stirratt. Jeff Tweedy's songwriting, along with the band's evolving sound, seemed to perfectly complement what I was experiencing in my 20s, through to my 30s, and even today, in my 70s.

AM were the leftovers. Being There was them breaking beyond alt.country. Summerteeth was their breezy, pop gem. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot remains their masterpiece. A Ghost is Born was an extension of YHF. Sky Blue Sky was back to Americana. And The Whole Love was their last great record.

As I sit here listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, for what must be the first time in a few years, I'm tossed right back to the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It was less than two weeks after 9/11:


I assassin down the avenue
I'm hiding out in the big city blinking

and then:

Tall building shake
Voices escape, singing sad, sad songs
Turned to chords, strung down your cheeks
Bitter melodies turned your orbit around
Voices cry
Skyscrapers are scraping together
Your voice is smoking
And last cigarettes are all you can get
Turining your orbit around  


These songs were written at least a year before 9/11. The band just always seemed to be moving alongside the mood of the times. 

I've watched probably 2 billion hours of Wilco video. This remains my favorite:




Version 2 of the band:




Jeff and Jay:



Chilling with Obama:




Favorite record: Being There (1996)


Where are they now: See you in North Adams next June.




Comments

  1. quality useful resource for free. It?s the outdated what goes around comes around routine.
    Hi. Magnificent job. I did not expect this on a friday night. This is a terrific story. Thanks!
    i would to see this on the ps3 and its so addicting played since july and im still not bored with it

    Brother Ink Cartridges

    ReplyDelete
  2. helpful. writers I dont really It is refreshing to find people who write like they know what they are talking about
    Hey! I just saw another message in one other weblog that regarded like this. How do you know all this stuff? That's one cool post.
    You ought to really moderate the responses on this site
    Please tell me that youre heading to keep this up! Its so good and so important. I cant wait to read much more from you. I just feel like you know so very much and
    TOP Google Ranking On Your Site

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best