Damien Jurado / Hoquiam

Just like Richard Buckner, Kenny Roby, Brent Best and a slew of other great singer/songwriters of the day, Damien Jurado, in my eyes, has been robbed. Another amazing talent gone almost unnoticed amongst the masses. I used to get pissed off when I'd see some suck hit stardom, and the true talents play to rooms of 50-75. But no longer. Seriously. I just try and play my little part in helping them to continue to do what they do. I buy their records, go to their shows, buy a XXXL t-shirt and try to spread the word. I can only hope that such efforts toss a few extra bucks in their pockets. They more than deserve it. They were born with a gift, they're acting on it, producing and they should be able to continue. It leaves a lasting emotional void in me when such acts go away. Will Kenny Roby make another record? How about Buckner? They're both still young and it kills me that they may not release their work to the public anymore.

Damien Jurado is the closest thing to a present-day Nick Drake as there can be. He's been releasing records since 1997 via Sub Pop and Secretly Canadian. 2005's On My Way To Absence is a personal favorite, but just about any Jurado record, on a given day, can be his best. Next week he will release Saint Bartlett, but it's his side project with his brother, Hoquiam (artist name and album title), that is likely the best record released so far this year, and probably Jurado's best record in five years. It's one of those records that slowly seeps in: gorgeous lyrics, lush harmonies and a sonic simplicity that bears meat. Singer/songwriters come around all the time, but artists as deep and effecting as Jurado do not.

Go here and buy everything Jurado.

I think Hoquiam's only available on eMusic and on vinyl via your local record store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best