Ten Songs That Changed My Life

Inspired by the Dusted Magazine interview with Joe Pernice, I'm going to dedicate my daily writing exercise to the referenced subject. I have much to do on this Friday night, but this little piece is a perfect distraction. These ten songs are simply off the top of my graying head.

1. Bruce Springsteen : "Thunder Road"
When I interviewed Josh Ritter a few years ago, he talked adoringly about Bruce's "The River," a song he'd recently performed at a Springsteen tribute show in New York. I think he called that song the "pinnacle" or something of the sort. I recall the moment he said that thinking, "But c'mon 'Thunder Road.'" I held back. But it was "Thunder Road," released to the world just two years after I was born that opened up my soul to rock and roll and it's been leading me all over the place ever since. "Lying out there like a killer in the sun. I know it's late, but we can make it if we run." I truly think this is the greatest song ever recorded. And if I live to be 100, which I won't, I bet I say the same.

2. Uncle Tupelo : "New Madrid"
I was sitting across from my old buddy Negri when Flanders, a friend of friends visiting from Maine, walked into the living room the afternoon after he saw some band called Uncle Tupelo, loaded Anodyne, and went right to song six. Within an hour or two, Negri and I were at Tower on Boylston pouring through the "U" section. It all changed thereafter. Everything.

3. Marah : "Formula, Cola, Dollar Draft"
"There was a time when I didn't talk. I'd look away or I'd shrug it off. Tune it out, or turn it off. Or say something short and soft. Out of school I took a j-o-b. Makin' buttons in a factory. Thinkin' what else life's got in for me. I didn't wanna know." It was around 1998-1999 when I'd drive from New York to Philly every few weekends to spend some of the greatest and most furious nights of my life with Marah. For two years or so, they were the best band on the planet, and for that period, one of the most hellbent performers of rock and roll ever. They were Springsteen, The Stones and The Replacements strolling the streets of South Philly. I'd leave The Pontiac, The Tin Angel and venues throughout Philly at 2am absolutely soaked in sweat. And then we'd talk rock and roll until the sun came up.

4. Slobberbone : "Powderfinger" (Neil Young cover / Live)
A personal turning point in my life. Austin, Texas, 1999. The full story is reserved for my memoir, but let's just say it was a near out-of-body experience. "And it's less than a mile away. I hope they didn't come to stay. It's got numbers on the side and a gun and it's making big waves." And then the tears hit.

5. Bonnie "Prince" Billy : "The Way"
The moment that California became home. I was in my first year out west, living in Sunnyvale, and on a certain beautiful weekend night this song opened up my new life.

6. Public Enemy : "Show 'Em Whatcha Got"
My first CD. And this song opened up questions about a world completely unfamiliar to me. Raised in an all-white suburban town, this song, along with the rest of It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back, brought an entire world to the forefront. If I had to point to the beginnings of my political leanings and yearning for justice, I'd point to the introduction of this song and this record.

7. Son Volt : "Windfall"
From the fall of 1995 through the summer of 1996, I must have listened to this record 500x. And so did just about everyone around me. This record was as essential to us as air. And it was the opening track, "Windfall," that made me realize that music was not only my first love, but would soon be my career. In what capacity I had no idea, but I had to be as near as possible to music at all times.

8. Chris Bell : "Look Up"
An e-mail of less than ten words from a friend led me to this song. I played it no less than 15 times that night about half of which were listened to from my apartment roof. It was like that Slobberbone moment, but about eight years later. Thanks, MR.

9. Josh Rouse : "Rise"
While riding the F train from Manhattan back to Brooklyn one night, this song provided the courage and words to pretty drastically (for me) alter my life. "Catch the last ride on the Brooklyn train. Thirty years old and nothing's changed." It was exactly what I was thinking when those lyrics hit my ears. This will also be in the memoir, which retails at $34.99 USD.

10. Radiohead : "Let Down"
September 11th and 12th of 2001 are probably the only two days in the past 20 years when I didn't listen to any music. Somewhere in this apartment, I'm pretty sure I have a few notes I wrote down at around 9am while on the F train before we all truly knew what was going on. Now nine years later, I'm still unable to revisit those notes. Three days after that incomprehensible day, I pulled my iPod out of my bag and hit play. "Let Down" came on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best