The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story, Nov 16

I'm guessing it was 1995 or so when my older brother and I hopped into my Mazda 626 and drove down to Asbury Park and Freehold, New Jersey just to see where it all went down. We drove by a number of guitar shops and wondered if any of them once housed that Japanese guitar. We parked outside the Stone Pony. As the hours passed, we just kept driving around. It all felt like Born To Run and Darkness. As track three on the latter came pouring through the tape deck, my brother pointed to the street sign. As Bruce sang, "Well, I'm riding down Kingsley, figuring I'll get a drink. Well, I turned the radio up loud, so I don't have to think." We were on Kingsley. And boy did we turn that radio up loud.

After years of rumors and false starts, on November 16th, Columbia will release the three-CD / three-DVD set The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story. In addition to a fully remastered Darkness, the set includes 21 unreleased tracks, as well as the DVDs The Promise : The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town, a performance of the record from the Paramount Theatre in 2009, studio clips and rehearsals from 1976-1978 and the entire December 12, 1978 performance from the Summit in Houston, Texas.

Tonight, tonight, the strip's just right, I wanna blow 'em off in my first heat.


Bruce Springsteen - "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'" Sneak Peek from Columbia Records on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best