In 2010

Blind Pilot 3 Rounds and a Sound
Hands down, the record I listened to most this year. Every song is great, with the highlights being "Things I Cannot Recall," "The Story I Heard" and the perfect "Two Towns From Me." This is straightforward Americana, and far superior to overhyped darlings the likes of Fleet Foxes or Avett Brothers.

Alamo Square, San Francisco
This neighborhood is the closest I've ever come to calling a place home. New Jersey never felt right, Connecticut was The Ice Storm minus the hot tubbing, Boston was fine for a few years, Myrtle Beach was hell on earth and Brooklyn had all the trimmings but lacked kindness and community. Alamo Square has it all: diversity, grit, a handful of halfway houses, a great dog park, spirit and a neighborly charm that somehow brings folks from different classes, races and ages together.

Barack Obama
It's a wonderful feeling to be proud of your president. He's not perfect, and boy does he look comedy in that golf outfit, but progressives will one day reflect on his presidency and long for him. A lot can still happen, but thus far, despite some slip-ups (e.g., the exhaustive delay with respect to the Afghanistan troop increase), he's led with intellect, curiosity, patience and class. He may be the best I'll see in my lifetime.

Richard Buckner's "Town"
Buckner's been extremely quiet since 2006's Meadow, but his Daytrotter appearance this year was stunning. His live take on "Town" checks in as the second best recording of the year, behind Springsteen's "The Promise."

Those Near
I've watched my mother battle disease with humor and limitless selflessness while my stepfather assists and supports every step of the way. And then came the birth of my adorable nephew. And, of course, Bennett. The last year is likely the closest I've ever felt to my family.

Farewell to Sports
Life events can certainly put things in perspective. I lost interest in the Knicks when Isiah and Dolan took charge. I started losing interest in the Yankees when their payroll almost assured a playoff berth year in, year out. I check the Steelers every so often, but it's just not the same. A one-time obsession has faded, in favor of music, books and chicken parm recipes. Moments that will stick: 1) Being in the bleachers when Tino hit the unthinkable in the 2001 Series, 2) Watching Charlie Hayes glove the final out in 1996 from the left field pole, 3) Larry Johnson's four-pointer against Indiana and 4) The look on Debusschere's face when the Knicks landed Ewing.

Willy Vlautin
I imagined that Vlautin's novels would just echo his music. Yes, there are many similarities, but his writing is fresh, tragic and beautiful. He's often compared to southern legend Larry Brown. I think he just might be better.

The Artists
There's often so many reasons for them to pack it in, but many persist. I am forever grateful to the artists, many of whom scrape by, for bringing their words and songs into our lives. Cary Hudson, Brent Best, Will Johnson, Richard Buckner, Jimmy Smith, Damien Jurado, Josh Ritter, Mark Olson, Chip Robinson, Scott Miller, Kevin Russell, Kenny Roby, Freedy Johnston, Mark Oliver Everett, Nathan Moore, Gary Louris and so many more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best