The Meaning of Big Star/Third

A friend recently shared a few statistics he'd heard on a podcast regarding how we spend our time over a lifetime. You know, one of those charts that breaks down "28 years sleeping," etc. Well, when they hit on happiness and adjectives associated with joy, they noted that, on average, we spend a total of 14 minutes experiencing bliss. My response was, "This why people need to listen to Big Star." He had no idea what I was talking about and moved on.

Seeing the Big Star/Third tribute at Baruch College in New York two weekends ago reminded me of my own blissful moments, many of which were experienced before a stage packed with guitars, drums, mikes and amps. Like when Roger McGuinn joined Son Volt at Irving Plaza for The Byrds' "5D." Or at Bimbo's when Slint nearly knocked me over with their jarring version of "Good Morning Captain." And yes, when Slobberbone pulled me from the depths in the pouring Austin rain in 1999.

I've come to realize that my obsession and reliance on music is actually quite similar to some people's dependence on religion. The words, sounds and direction provided by artists such as Springsteen, Townes, Wilco, Dylan, The Beatles, Ritter and hundreds of others, is, in many ways, my religion. It can settle a disruptive mind, fuel a passion in dire need of a catalyst and open up possibilities I once deemed impossible.



When Alex Chilton sings "keep an eye on the sky," I believe. It's been a long time since a record has hit like Big Star's Third has of late. Always a fan of the band, I was hooked on #1 Record and Radio City. I mean, wasn't Third just the half-finished swan song? The record that barely even made it to release? Sure, it had "Holocaust" and "Thank You Friends," but it was the first two that represented the pinnacle of power pop. But then I picked up the vinyl re-issue of Third and it was the one record that was perched near my turntable for good. This was more than power pop. "And the wrong shall fail, and the right prevail," Chilton implores on the gorgeous "Jesus Christ." Label the meaning of the song as you will, but to me, this is greater than music. It's reaching somewhere. "Kangaroo" has a cacophonous beauty that's almost difficult to process. "Strike It Noel" adds to the 14 minutes highlighted above. "Do you wanna dance? Strike it Noel" as strings, drums and a wall of sound backs Chilton's delivery. Chilton turns to Stephens on "For You," one of the best love songs of the 70s. "Nightime," "Blue Moon," "Kizza Me" and "O, Dana." And then the covers.



Two weeks ago I witnessed Chris Stamey, Ira Kaplan, Matthew Sweet, Michael Stipe, Norman Blake and a host of others cover this record from top-to-bottom. And since that night, not a day has passed without recalling the emotions I felt that evening. Brett Harris' delivery on "Kangaroo" was so moving that I almost felt unsteady. Ira Kaplan's blanket-warm vocals on "O, Dana" was hypnotizing. And the joy, sorrow and celebration of Alex Chilton, Chris Bell, Jim Dickinson, John Fry, Andy Hummel, and yes, Jody Stephens, was a whirlwind of emotions that I can't recall feeling in ages.

Big Star may not have achieved what lie in their name, but to some, their songs were far more than that. And Third may not only be the best of the Big Star records, but could very well fall among the best of any records.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best