V-Roys : Compilation Due, NYE Show


Knoxville, TN's The V-Roys were one of my favorite acts during the likely-never-to-be-repeated greatest run of bands in my lifetime. Along with Blue Mountain, Wilco, Son Volt, The Bottle Rockets, The Jayhawks, Old 97's, Steve Earle, Scud Mountain Boys, Marah and about 500 others, I've often cited 1995-1999 as the height of what blew the doors off my love for music. Call it Americana, alt.country or whatever you like, I will likely go to the grave firm in my belief that this was one of the greatest times for music, ever. And the V-Roys were right in the middle of it all.


Now 12 years since they wrapped it all up, word comes of a "compilation" due September 27th on F.A.Y. Recordings. The collection, titled Sooner or Later, will include the following 18 tracks:

  1. “Guess I Know I’m Right”
  2. No Regrets”
  3. “Pounding Heart”
  4. “Sooner or Later”
  5. “Goodnight Loser”
  6. “Cry”
  7. “Lie I Believe”
  8. “Kick Me Around”
  9. “Mary”
  10. “Amy 88″
  11. “Over the Mountain”
  12. “Fade Away”
  13. “Burned” (Neil Young cover)
  14. “Someone to Push Around”
  15. “How I Got to Memphis” (Tom T. Hall cover)
  16. “Hotel Room”
  17. “Smokey Joe’s CafĂ©” (Leiber and Stoller cover)
  18. “Cold Beer Hello”
But the big news. Very big news. The V-Roys will be playing one gig, this coming New Years Eve at the Bijou Theatre in Knoxville. The first show in exactly 12 years may very well be the only one as there is no news of the band going back into the studio or planning a tour. One thing's for sure, unless Tweedy's playing my 12x12 studio, I'm going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best