Josh Rouse & The Long Vacations Due Sept 27

Sometime in early 2002, I stopped by a friend's house in Brooklyn and with that grin of anticipation he immediately tossed on an advance copy of a new CD. Just a few songs in, I had no idea who I was listening to. "Who is this?" I asked. "Josh Rouse," he said firmly, knowing where the conversation was headed. "Wait, the guy who opened for Son Volt a few years ago? I bought his first record but I can't say...." "But what about this?" he fired back. "Pretty damn good." And thus began my four year love affair with everything Rouse released. From 2002 - 2005, Josh Rouse may very well have been the most consistent recording artist going. Under Cold Blue Stars, 1972 and Nashville are all great records with the middle record being his masterstroke. I still credit the song "Rise" with playing a large part in my move from New York to San Francisco. "Catch the last ride on the Brooklyn train / Thirty years old and nothing's changed." Knowing that my time in Brooklyn was nearing its end, I listened to that line over and over and over until one day I found myself heading West. Add in the fantastic 2004 collection The Smooth Sounds of Josh Rouse, and, at least to my ears, Rouse could do no wrong.


After three sensational records, a decline was almost expected. And it came. 2006's Subtutilo has a few great tracks but is largely inconsistent. 2007's Country Mouse, City House, save a few songs, is largely forgettable. And last year's El Turista just about put a close to my years of following Rouse's evolution as an artist. And then tonight I saw a link to news of a new record on the way, titled Josh Rouse & The Long Vacations. After just a few songs, this sounds like a clear return to form. And for the serious fans, there are about 97 options as far as merch to buy. As expected, I'll likely buy everything. Twice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best