Scud Mountain Boys

Back in 1995, the Scud Mountain Boys shared a bill at Tramps in NYC with Blue Mountain and Wilco. This is one of those shows my friends and I still talk about pretty much daily. I never saw the Scuds again as they soon turned into The Pernice Brothers. I went on to see Wilco about 50 times and Blue Mountain about 20.

Despite many Pernice shows, my favorite Joe Pernice moment took place on the F Train in Brooklyn. I was heading into the city one Saturday, and across from me sat Joe, wearing a Smiths t-shirt. Our fashion senses similar, I was wearing an Uncle Tupelo tee. We seemed to look at each other a few times, awkwardly. As I stood up to depart at Houston, I nervously said, "Hey Joe." He didn't hear me.

A few nights ago, Joe Pernice played a number of Scuds songs while on a mini East Coast tour. Rumor has it that a short tour with the entire original band will take place in December.


Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best