Solid Sound 2019

Wilco have just announced that the Solid Sound Festival will return in 2019. This will be the sixth overall Solid Sound, and should I go, which I definitely will, my fourth. I can't sing the praises of this festival enough. Taking place at MASS MOCA, deep in the Berkshires, first off, it's one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Add in the format for the festival, which includes a mix of known acts, up-and-comers, comedians, artists, an exceptional museum, and it's hands down the best festival I've ever been to. I wouldn't call myself a festival expert, but I've been to a few, namely Coachella '09, Fleadh (like 80 years ago), Hardly Strictly, Wavefest, Outside Lands, Treasure Island and a handful of others, but nothing compares to Solid Sound. In addition to the above, access to every set is pretty simple, the place appears to be mostly sustainable, the food trucks are all local shops from around the country, there's a full-on record store, and the staff and set-up are perfect. Every time I arrive on site, it's like returning home. The spirit of the place is just hard to describe. So much music, laughter, community and spontaneity. I've met friends, bumped into friends and made friends. 

I left Solid Sound '17 and decided that that would be my last. Who was I kidding? As I said going into this past June's festival, as long as they keep playing, I'll keep coming. 

A few of the bands I've discovered at Solid Sound: Sean Rowe, Joan Shelley, Parquet Courts, White Denim, Sam Amidon, Luluc, William Tyler.....

Here are some photos from 2013, 2015, 2017:



















Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best