Cartagena, Colombia


Tonight will close out my first visit to South America. It's been a solid trip. Some great, some good, some not so good, but overall, pretty happy with my first choice.

My bullet points on Cartagena, Colombia:

Positive:

  • Weather reports will probably say thunderstorms....every.....day. This is a bit deceiving as there are only small pockets of this. I've been here five full days and four were good weather-wise, with small pockets of rain. Today was pretty much raining all day.
  • The highlight, without question, was taking a day trip out to the Isle Grande. A beautiful island, inhabited by less than 1000 people. Incredible food and gorgeous little beaches.
  • The food here is excellent. I've yet to have a disappointing meal.
Negative:
  • The street salesman are super overbearing. I went on a run Wednesday morning and was stopped by numerous people on the street. I walked the streets of Old Town yesterday and the experience was even worse. One guy was literally harassing me and I had no choice but to bark for him to leave me alone.
  • Things to do are kind of limited. I had a hard time finding any good night life. I didn't look very hard, but walking around, there wasn't much.
Thanks to Fred, EMT, Akil and the many others who provided guidance and recommendations. The trip wouldn't have been nearly as fun if not for your help.

Overall, would I recommend it? I guess it depends what you're looking for, but if it's your first trip to South America, I would probably look elsewhere. If you're well traveled, then sure!

On the short list of where to go next:
  • Alaska
  • Burma
  • Scotland

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best