Mr. Narrator, This Is Bob Dylan To Me

The lyrics to The Minutemen's "History Lesson - Part II" represent some of my favorite lines in music. From San Pedro, D. and Watt playing guitars, and yes, that band that could be your life, I guess this isn't really a "punk rock" Minutemen song, but to me, it sure feels punk rock. And then D. Boon sings, "Mr. Narrator, this is Bob Dylan to me. My story could be his songs" and I think of the songs that have shaped my world. To my ears and core, many of my favorite songwriters are Bob Dylan to me, just as D. said. And every single time I hear that line I think of the enormous list of songwriters who may not hit the masses, but write songs that indeed have changed my life. Soon I will begin writing about these songwriters in a little feature I'll call "Bob Dylan To Me."

our band could be your life
real names'd be proof
me and mike watt played for years
punk rock changed our lives

we learned punk rock in hollywood
drove up from pedro
we were fucking corndogs
we'd go drink and pogo

mr. narrator
this is bob dylan to me
my story could be his songs
i'm his soldier child

our band is scientist rock
but i was e. bloom and richard hell,
joe strummer, and john doe
me and mike watt, playing guitar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best