The Words of a President


It's truly remarkable how the best leaders can cut through all the distractions and rivalries and put us at ease. Last night, President Obama did just that. With a national tragedy swiftly turning into a vicious political war, our president spoke for thirty minutes, and at least for me, maybe just for a time, ended the feuding. Instead of feeling anger and fatigue at the pundits and blowhards, President Obama allowed me to remember the good in us and the reality of what we lost in Tucson last weekend.

It's often too rare that we feel gratitude not only towards one another, but towards those who serve the public. When the president closed his notebook and stepped off the stage last night, I felt not only pride, but calm. Despite disagreeing with him from time-to-time, not for a moment do I doubt the man's character, intellect and humility. In such turbulent times, I feel extremely fortunate to have this man as our leader. And if you disagree with me, after listening to our president last night, well, that's just fine.

She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism and vitriol that we adults all too often take for granted. I want to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as Christina imagined it. I want America to be as good as Christina imagined it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best