Big Sur, Day One

Townes Van Zandt was a Texas man. I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that he never made it to Big Sur. Nevertheless, every time I find myself down here, I can often listen to nothing but Townes. He always comes first, and at least tonight, it's been nothing but him. I've listened to the entire Anthology and I'm now midway through Delta Momma Blues. To me, Big Sur is Townes. And Townes is Big Sur.

My last trip to Big Sur was in December of 2009. Since that trip, so much has changed in my life that I thought things down here might feel different. But they don't. Better, perhaps. I'm actually staying at the same bunch of cabins as I did in '09. I'm just across the road this time, next to Highway 1 instead of the river. Not as serene, but just as beautiful.

On the drive down, it was The White Album and Matthew Ryan's May Day. I stopped at a Seven Eleven and bought my first pair of sunglasses since Austin in 2000. I can't find that pair. The new ones were $9.99. While sifting through the plastic sunglass case, I listened as a woman, maybe early-40s, stormed out on her job. I bet she'll be back.

I made it down here around 430pm. Upon arrival, I picked up some supplies and unloaded into the cabin. Since then I've taken about 25 photos, put a larger dent into "Revolution Blues," spent close to an hour just looking at the stunning California stars, and yes, listened to Townes.

I love it here. Whenever I have time for a short trip it's the only place that's really in play. Six-plus years in the Bay Area and I've still yet to make it to Tahoe. With Big Sur just a few hours south, I can't imagine that'll change any time soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Age of Trump : What's Next

2008: The Worst in Music

Over the Wires : Brent Best